Turkey Burgers! Do you think they are boring? Not a chance with this super-flavorful and simple Turkey Burger with an outstanding Special Sauce!
I’m pretty sure my family would be
happy thrilled eating burgers every night of the week. Me? Not so much. Now, don’t get me wrong. I adore a big, juicy, beef burger with melty cheese and a special sauce. But I also like some balance in my diet – as often as I can. I love to “healthify” something not usually perceived as healthy. If you are a regular subscriber (and a big THANK YOU! if you are!), you know I like to balance my weekly meals with a nice, beautiful, healthy and satisfying Buddha Bowl, or fillet of Grilled Salmon. Especially because I like to make room for a nice decadent dessert. Because, you know, I’m an “everything in moderation” kind of person. (That’s what I tell myself anyway 🤫!)
But, I do think Turkey Burgers have gotten a bad rap. Isn’t “Turkey Burger” the item on a menu you just skip over? They are viewed as the bland, dry, third-cousin once-removed of the big beefy burger. But this Turkey Burger, I promise you, is a main event! So much flavor, it will change your mind! Adding just a few ingredients creates a truly tasty burger, seared on a griddle and adorned with cheese and a knock-you-senseless sauce, it stands on its own next to Big Beef.
This is a super-easy, very hearty, and awesomely delicious burger! All you need to do is mix together the burger ingredients, and form the patties.
- I like to mix all of the “liquid” ingredients, like mayo, egg, and Worcestershire sauce together with the spices and then pour all of that into the meat and panko. This way you will handle the meat less, making it less likely to become tough from over-mixing.
- You can make the burgers any size you want, I usually make 6 pretty big and thick burgers, or 8-10 smaller ones. Note: Nutrition information is for 1 large burger, not including sauce, cheese, or bun.
- Ground turkey holds more liquid than ground beef, so if you want to grill it on a grate, you will need to add additional panko or bread crumbs, maybe an additional 1/2 cup. This will help keep it firm enough to go onto the grate.
- When you cook the burgers, just be sure they are cooked all the way through. The best way is with a meat thermometer. It should read 160-165F.
- For the sauce, just mix the ingredients together.
- Feel free to add cheese, onions, pickles, whatever you like to your burger!
So, help me bring back the turkey burger! So tasty, so hearty and so darn easy!
Or, if you’re looking for other great burgers, don’t miss my super-flavorful Asian Style Ginger Pork Burger or this awesome Shrimp Burger.
For a completely different type of sandwich, try my tasty Doner Kebab with Pita or, check out they other Delicious Grilled dishes!Print
Turkey Burgers with Special Sauce
A hearty, flavorful turkey burger is so easy to put together and cook. It’s easier to cook them inside on a griddle or cast-iron pan. The meat splatters very little, due to its low fat content. Top with a super-simple and tasty sauce and you have a wonderful meal!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 20 min
- Yield: 6 large burgers 1x
- Category: Burgers
- Method: Stovetop
For the Burgers:
- 2 lb. Ground Turkey
- 3/4 c Panko or other Dried Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c Minced Onion (or sub. 1 tsp Onion Powder)
- 2 Tbls. Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbls. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Lg Egg
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 t Salt
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 c Mayonnaise
- 1/4 c Ketchup
- 2 Tbls. Sweet Relish
- 1 T Minced Onion
- 1/2 t Worcestershire Sauce
- Buns for Burgers
- Cheese, if desired
- Other condiments, as desired: pickles, sliced onion, lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup
Make the Burger Patties:
- Place the ground turkey, panko and onions into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add to the turkey. Mix with large spoon or your hands (best method). It’s best not to overwork the mixture, as it may become tough.
- Form into 6-8 large patties. Preheat a flat cooking surface (cast-iron pan or griddle) to Medium-High.
- Cook until seared nicely on both sides and cooked to 165F. For me, this took approximately 4 minutes per side, 8 minutes total. I made thick burgers, so decrease your time if burgers are thinner. Melt cheese on patties if desired.
- Be sure turkey is cooked all the way through before removing from heat.
Make the Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place cooked patties between buns, topping with sauce. Add condiments, as desired.
- This recipe makes 6 very large, hearty burgers, or 8-10 medium or smaller burgers. Just makes hem the size your guests would want.
- Turkey Burgers are best cooked on a flat surface, as the raw meat is a bit softer than beef or pork.
- It’s ok to prepare and shape the burgers several hours in advance. Just keep them covered in the fridge prior to cooking.
- Leftover sauce? It’s great as a veggie or chip dip, too!
- Serving Size: 1/6 Recipe
Keywords: Turkey Burgers, sauce for turkey burgers, how to make turkey burgers, easy turkey burgers, special sauce recipe, burger sauce recipe, easy burger sauce, best burger sauce, best sauce for turkey burgers
Can these burgers be cooked on the grill?
I have not cooked them on the grill, but if I did, I would put them in a cast-iron pan, just because turkey burgers, in my hands, seem to fall apart more easily than beef burgers. Thanks for your question, and apologies for not responding sooner!
mimi rippee says
What a fun sauce! It would be fabulous with meatballs, too, and shrimp, and grilled halloumi, and wings…
Thanks, Mimi! All great ideas!
That sauce is everything! My daughter is a burger fan and she is certainly going to love this.
Thanks, I hope you get the chance to make it for her! It is so good! Thanks for visiting!
Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats says
Definitely not boring when you add that sauce! These turkey burgers look AMAZING!!
Thanks, Kelly! I agree, turkey burgers aren’t boring, they just need a bit more love and attention sometimes, like a good sauce!
Hello dear ! Happy to say I am subscriber 🙂 My son would definitely have hamburgers every single day too but mothers moderate, right ? Thank you and enjoy your day !
Your son and my family – yes, they do have this in common. From one “moderator” to another, thanks for subscribing and for your visit and kind words!
Ashika | The Gardening Foodie says
Laura, this burger looks AMAZING. My son is actually a fan of turkey burgers. I would love to give this recipe a try. And that sauce, OH MY GOODNESS, it looks so good. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe.
I’m glad others are fans of the somewhat maligned turkey burger! The sauce is awfully good, you are right! Thanks for visiting!
Kim Lange says
We have eaten our share of turkey burgers. I love the special sauce for this and so much more! Pinning!
Thanks, Kim, I appreciate the Pin!
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
Tom and I love turkey burgers Laura! And I bet topped with that special sauce, these would be amazing! Pinned!
Thanks, Mary Ann! The burgers are delish on their own, but I agree, a lovely sauce is always a plus! Thanks for the pin!
I haven’t even had breakfast yet and here I’m craving this burger with your special sauce!
Thanks so much! I have to admit to eating a leftover burger for breakfast myself. It was perfect!
David @ Spiced says
A good sauce can take any burger from average to amazing! I’m like the rest of your family in that I could absolutely go for a good burger every night of the week. However, like you, I can’t let myself indulge that often. (We usually save that for a weekend night!) These turkey burgers sound fantastic, and I could totally go for one for dinner this week. I love grilled dinners…I even have a flattop for the grill which would be perfect for these. 🙂 (Now I just have to go find the darned thing….haha.)
I would love to have a flat-top for my grill! That’s a fantastic idea! Hope you get the chance to try these tasty burgers, David! You might even like it for a weeknight! Ha!
All That I'm Eating says
I really like the sound of your sauce, easy to make but I bet it transforms these burgers! I think I have all those ingredients already so next BBQ I will give it a try!
Caroline! Yes! The sauce is awesome! It definitely dresses up just about any sandwich, veggie, or chip!
I love turkey burgers Laura. And it’s a shame as you say, that most people skip over them if they’re listed on a menu. For me they would be one of the things I would look at first. Especially if as delicious as this! I love how you’ve added a bt of spice and a kick with the Worcestershire sauce. Yum!
Thanks, Neil! it is a shame people tend to skip a lovely turkey burger! Hope you get the chance to try this one! You won’t regret it for sure! Thanks for visiting!