Turkey Burgers! Do you think they are boring? Not a chance with this super-flavorful and simple Turkey Burger with an outstanding Special Sauce!
I’m pretty sure my family would be
happy thrilled eating burgers every night of the week. Me? Not so much. Now, don’t get me wrong. I adore a big, juicy, beef burger with melty cheese and a special sauce. But I also like some balance in my diet – as often as I can. I love to “healthify” something not usually perceived as healthy. If you are a regular subscriber (and a big THANK YOU! if you are!), you know I like to balance my weekly meals with a nice, beautiful, healthy and satisfying Buddha Bowl, or fillet of Grilled Salmon. Especially because I like to make room for a nice decadent dessert. Because, you know, I’m an “everything in moderation” kind of person. (That’s what I tell myself anyway 🤫!)
But, I do think Turkey Burgers have gotten a bad rap. Isn’t “Turkey Burger” the item on a menu you just skip over? They are viewed as the bland, dry, third-cousin once-removed of the big beefy burger. But this Turkey Burger, I promise you, is a main event! So much flavor, it will change your mind! Adding just a few ingredients creates a truly tasty burger, seared on a griddle and adorned with cheese and a knock-you-senseless sauce, it stands on its own next to Big Beef.
This is a super-easy, very hearty, and awesomely delicious burger! All you need to do is mix together the burger ingredients, and form the patties.
- I like to mix all of the “liquid” ingredients, like mayo, egg, and Worcestershire sauce together with the spices and then pour all of that into the meat and panko. This way you will handle the meat less, making it less likely to become tough from over-mixing.
- You can make the burgers any size you want, I usually make 6 pretty big and thick burgers, or 8-10 smaller ones. Note: Nutrition information is for 1 large burger, not including sauce, cheese, or bun.
- Ground turkey holds more liquid than ground beef, so if you want to grill it on a grate, you will need to add additional panko or bread crumbs, maybe an additional 1/2 cup. This will help keep it firm enough to go onto the grate.
- When you cook the burgers, just be sure they are cooked all the way through. The best way is with a meat thermometer. It should read 160-165F.
- For the sauce, just mix the ingredients together.
- Feel free to add cheese, onions, pickles, whatever you like to your burger!
So, help me bring back the turkey burger! So tasty, so hearty and so darn easy!
Turkey Burgers with Special Sauce
A hearty, flavorful turkey burger is so easy to put together and cook. It’s easier to cook them inside on a griddle or cast-iron pan. The meat splatters very little, due to its low fat content. Top with a super-simple and tasty sauce and you have a wonderful meal!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 20 min
- Yield: 6 large burgers 1x
- Category: Burgers
- Method: Stovetop
For the Burgers:
- 2 lb. Ground Turkey
- 3/4 c Panko or other Dried Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c Minced Onion (or sub. 1 tsp Onion Powder)
- 2 Tbls. Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbls. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Lg Egg
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 t Salt
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 c Mayonnaise
- 1/4 c Ketchup
- 2 Tbls. Sweet Relish
- 1 T Minced Onion
- 1/2 t Worcestershire Sauce
- Buns for Burgers
- Cheese, if desired
- Other condiments, as desired: pickles, sliced onion, lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup
Make the Burger Patties:
- Place the ground turkey, panko and onions into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add to the turkey. Mix with large spoon or your hands (best method). It’s best not to overwork the mixture, as it may become tough.
- Form into 6-8 large patties. Preheat a flat cooking surface (cast-iron pan or griddle) to Medium-High.
- Cook until seared nicely on both sides and cooked to 165F. For me, this took approximately 4 minutes per side, 8 minutes total. I made thick burgers, so decrease your time if burgers are thinner. Melt cheese on patties if desired.
- Be sure turkey is cooked all the way through before removing from heat.
Make the Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place cooked patties between buns, topping with sauce. Add condiments, as desired.
- This recipe makes 6 very large, hearty burgers, or 8-10 medium or smaller burgers. Just makes hem the size your guests would want.
- Turkey Burgers are best cooked on a flat surface, as the raw meat is a bit softer than beef or pork.
- It’s ok to prepare and shape the burgers several hours in advance. Just keep them covered in the fridge prior to cooking.
- Leftover sauce? It’s great as a veggie or chip dip, too!
- Serving Size: 1/6 Recipe
Keywords: Turkey Burgers, sauce for turkey burgers, how to make turkey burgers, easy turkey burgers, special sauce recipe, burger sauce recipe, easy burger sauce, best burger sauce, best sauce for turkey burgers