JUST IN TIME FOR CINCO DE MAYO! SUPER-EASY SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS WILL MAKE ONE OF YOUR FAMILY’S FAVORITE MEALS A BREEZE!
As a child, growing up in the 70’s in the MidWest had its culinary challenges. For instance, I was probably 6 when we got our first McDonald’s. Crazy, right? (29-cent burgers!) And Taco Bell? Well, we probably had to wait an additional 5 years for that one. Some time before we had our first tacos, our Aunt introduced us to Taco Salad. This Aunt, who has been a Religious Sister since the age of 14 – times were different then – was one of our favorite aunts.
Sister Rita Marie is my Dad’s sister, and is ALWAYS kind, cheerful, and truly she has more energy than just about everyone else in the room combined. She concocted a Taco Salad that each of us salad-hating children absolutely loved and insisted Mom learn how to make. To this day, even at age 85, she still safely(!) drives her fellow sisters to places they need to go. And, I wouldn’t be surprised if she makes them Taco Salad, too.
That Taco Salad, of course, was the beginning of my love for all things Tex-Mex. Now, when I make tacos for my family, I like to make them in fajita form. Truth be told, it’s so they can get some vegetables along with the meat, tortilla and cheese. And, no, a half teaspoon of onions and a dollop of salsa is not quite a full serving of vegetables. Sorry.
But I recently discovered Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas! I can’t believe how tasty and awesomely easy these are! And I know fajitas are supposed to be grilled but the Sheet Pan is just so convenient and time-saving! No trying to fit all of the chicken strips and veg into a saute pan, or cooking one at a time. You can fit fajitas for 4-6 people on a single sheet tray, and cook them in 23 minutes flat! While you wait for them to get done, you have time to prep any toppings you may want, set the table, and toss your tortillas in the oven or microwave. Maybe make a Margarita. 😉
This is a pretty flexible recipe. I used large bell peppers, and cut them into relatively thin strips in order to make them tender over a short cooking time. Same for the chicken strips. The package of chicken breasts I bought was 1.25 lb, but you could use as little as 1 lb if you like.
A drizzle of olive oil, and sprinkle of the not-too-spicy chili powder based mixture provides lots of flavor without too much heat. You likely have all of the ingredients in your spice drawer, too. If you like your food more spicy, feel free to up the cayenne pepper to 1/2 teaspoon. A little brown sugar adds a touch of sweetness.
Spread the chicken and veggie mixture over a sheet pan, roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes. During that time, warm your tortillas and prep any other toppings you want, and dinner is ready.
This recipe easily serves 4-6 people and makes 12-16 fajita tacos.
I certainly thank Sr. Rita Marie for introducing us all to her fantastic Taco Salad, and have to believe her culinary journey has led her to the joy of Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas as well!
For more sheet pan dinner ideas, take a look at my Curried Sheet Pan Chicken with Cauliflower and Grapes, or my Sheet Pan Rhubarb Chicken.
PIN Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas ->Print
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Flavorful Fajitas with less mess than stovetop – just coat with spices and spread over a sheetpan, cooking for 20-25 minutes.
While they cook, you can get all the toppings you wish together and heat the tortillas.
You may never cook fajitas stovetop again!
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 20-25 mins
- Total Time: 30-40 mins
- Yield: 12–16 Fajitas 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
For the Spice Rub:
- 1 T Chili Powder, any type
- 2 t Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 t Kosher Salt
- 1 t Paprika or Smoked Paprika
- 1 t Cumin
- 1/2 t Onion Powder
- 1/2 t Garlic Powder
- 1/4 t Cayenne Pepper
For the Fajitas
- 3 T Olive Oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1–1 1/4 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red, Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1/2 large Onion, any color
- 16 Corn or Flour Tortillas
- Refried Beans, Shredded Cheese, Salsa, Guacamole, Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400F (Conventional), or 375F for Convection (fan).
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the spice rub in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the Onion into thin slices, then cut slices in half (half-moons), and separate.
- Cut the Bell peppers by slicing off the top and bottom of the pepper, removing seeds and stems and slicing the body of the pepper into batons about 1/3 of an inch thick and 2-3 inches long, placing them, along with the onion slices, into a large bowl.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin strips, about 1/2 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick. Place in the bowl with the sliced peppers and onion.
- Drizzle the contents of the bowl with the 3 T oil, then sprinkle and mix in the spice mixture, stirring with a large spoon or using your hand until all pieces are evenly coated.
- Spread the coated ingredients over the surface of a. 12×18 sheet pan.
- Roast in the preheated oven until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are softened, 20-25 minutes. I removed mine at 23 minutes and they were cooked perfectly.
- Serve on warm tortillas with any toppings you desire.
- Serving Size: 1/14 Recipe
Keywords: Sheet Pan, Chicken, Fajitas, Easy