A classic soup, made in the Instant Pot! Just a few minutes prep, let it cook and you have the most delicious Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup!
If you’ve been visiting me here at the Blog for long, you know the history I have with Ham and Bean Soup. If you don’t want to head over to That post, – although the condiment we used with our Ham and Bean Soup is “IN-ter-esting”, to say the least – I will cut to the chase. It used to be a love/hate relationship, but now it’s full-on LOVE! Especially since the arrival of my Instant Pot! Now, my other recipe for this soup is decidedly for the Dutch Oven due to some slow-cooking techniques. And THAT soup will add such amazing aroma to your home! You just need a bit more time to cook it. But you know me, I’m “a little bit country, a little bit Rock’n’Roll” (Quiz: who originally sang THAT song?), so I do either, depending on whatever else is going on.
The IP has completely changed the way some of us cook. This Ham and Bean Soup, for instance, used to be relegated to “Weekend Only” status, due to cook time. But, the ease of preparation with an IP makes a full-on weekend-style Monday night dinner. And a batch big enough to serve as leftovers or Tuesday through Friday lunch! Besides, I had a pretty nice Ham Bone left over from Christmas just waiting in my freezer. And, this was the first soup I’ve made in my IP, so I’m looking forward to making more.
So if you’re looking for a little weekend-style meal during a hectic week, be sure to give this Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup a try!
Be sure to check our other SOUPS I’ve made, including Dutch Oven Ham and Bean Soup, Click HERE.
And other IP recipes HERE!
Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
The easiest possible recipe for this delicious and satisfying classic soup! Just chop and place all ingredients in the Instant Pot. Pressure cook 45 minutes, and Keep Warm until ready to serve!
- Prep Time: 20 min + 2 hours to soak beans
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Total Time: 55 minute
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
For the Soup:
- 1 lb White beans (I used Navy Beans), soaked at least 2 hours
- 2 Smoked Ham Hocks (about 2 lb total)
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, including leaves, chopped
- 3 Carrots, chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1 t Liquid Smoke
- 8 c stock, any variety, or water
- 3 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- Gather ingredients, chop the vegetables, drain the soaked beans.
- Put all of the “For the Soup” ingredients into the Instant Pot. Be sure to not fill the pot greater than the “Pressure Cook Max” line, or 2/3 full. (See Note 1) You may need to decrease added stock or water.
- Seal and lock the lid. Set at Manual Pressure Cook for 45 minutes.
- Let Pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes, or “Keep Warm” until ready to serve. (See Note 2)
- Just prior to serving, remove the ham hocks from the soup, and add Cider Vinegar. Cut any remaining meat from the ham hocks and return it to the pot. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir and serve.
1. Be sure the beans are below the water line, so they fully soften during the cook time.
2. I assembled my soup in the IP in the morning, and let it stay at “Keep Warm” until dinner time.
Keywords: Instant Pot, ham and bean, soup