Ok, I’ve disappointed myself here. I’d made a vow, only to break it practically before I’d begun to abide by that vow. I had promised to use the beautiful seasonal fruits for desserts all summer long, and although summer has practically just begun, here I am falling back into my non-summertime ways. What can I say?……Chocolate and peanut butter. That’s all. Those two ingredients. They call my name sometimes. And this time, they became Peanut Butter Swirled Brownies from Deb Perelman of Smitten Kitchen. I couldn’t resist. But you know what? I don’t regret it one bit! They were just so easy to make. And SO. DANG. DELISH!
What’s more, you may have all of the ingredients in your house right this minute. (I mean, who doesn’t have chocolate and peanut butter in the house at all times?) Or, if you don’t, they are easy to find. You may have to make them now. Right now. Like I did. And, I only made a couple of changes to Smitten’s recipe – I reduced the sugar just a bit and used all-natural peanut butter because I feel like it’s just more peanutty. And also because my favorite brand, Trader Joe’s All-Natural (they don’t pay me, by the way) is nice and salty. Because the best sweets also have a bit of salty.
So if you feel the need to slide back into an old habit, sometimes it’s ok. Make it a delicious habit. Especially when it’s this as satisfying as these Peanut Butter Swirled Brownies!
Peanut Butter Swirled Brownies
A swirl of scrumptious peanut butter takes these fudgy brownies over the top! So easy to make. You likely have most, if not all, of the ingredients in your pantry!
This recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Method: Baked
Peanut Butter Swirl
- 3/4 c Smooth Peanut Butter (see Notes)
- 1/2 c Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lg egg
- 1/4 t Natural Vanilla Extract
- A few pinches salt, to taste
Chocolate Brownie Batter
- 3 oz. Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, roughly chopped (I use Lindt or Ghirardelli)
- 1/2 c (1 stick) Unsalted butter
- 1 – 1 1/4 c Granulated Sugar
- 2 lg eggs
- 1 t Natural Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 t Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- 2/3 c AP Flour
- 1/4 c semi-sweet or bittersweet Chocolate Chips
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray the pan, and line an 8″ square pan with parchment, coating the parchment and sides of pan with butter or more cooking spray.
Make the Peanut Butter Swirl
- In a medium bowl, stir all ingredients together until smooth.
Make the Brownie Batter
- In a metal bowl over simmering water, melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate. When a few bits remain, remove from the heat and whisk until fully melted and smooth. You can do this in the microwave in 30-second segments if you wish, but I feel like doing it over the heat, I have a bit more control.
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Stir in the flour using a flexible spatula or a spoon.
- Spread around 1/3 of the brownie batter over the bottom of the baking pan. Using a spoon, take dollops of the peanut butter swirl and scatter them on top of the layer of chocolate batter in the pan. They will fill up the space. Then, intersperse the rest of the chocolate, also in dollops, trying to get it between the dollops of peanut butter swirl.
- Using a butter knife, make swirls through the two batters, leaving nice ribbons of peanut butter swirl.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the brownie batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until a wooden skewer or toothpick comes out almost clean.
I use natural peanut butter in this recipe because I like many desserts less sweet. I also reduced the sugar in the original recipe from 2/3 c to 1/2 cup. If you prefer sweeter, feel free to use sweetened PB and the additional sugar.
These brownies keep well any way you want to store them: room temperature, refrigerated, frozen.
- Serving Size: 1/16 recipe