- 2 c AP flour, plus a little more for flouring the counter or board
- 1 1/2 T Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 t Baking Powder
- 1/4 t Baking Soda
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/2 c Butter, frozen preferred, but well-chilled is ok
- 1/2 c Buttermilk
- 2 eggs (a third if you would like an egg-wash for the scone tops)
- 3 oz. Sharp Cheddar Cheese (or any other you like), grated (approx. 1 cup)
- 3 Green onions, sliced fine (white and light green only), approx. 1/3 cup
Prepare the Dry Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 400F. Put a silicone or parchment sheet on top of a 11×18 Baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Dry Ingredients. (You can sift them for extra lightness, but I didn’t). Set aside.
Mix Wet Ingredients
- Crack the two eggs into a small bowl. Whisk well. Add buttermilk and whisk to incorporate.
Form the Scones
- Grate the Butter into ribbons. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a spoona or a rubber spatula.
- Grate the cheese.
- Stir 3/4 cup of the cheese and the diced green onions to the flour mixture. Make a “well” in the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the Buttermilk-egg mixture.
- Stir until the a dough begins to form and just about all of the flour is incorporated. Pour onto lightly floured board.
- Form the dough into 2 equal-sized balls. Press each into a 1” high circle, about 6-7” in diameter.
- Cut each circle into quarters, and move each of the quarter-circles to the baking sheet.
- If desired, brush with egg wash (whisked egg with 1 T water or milk).
- Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese atop the scones.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until done. The tops should be brown and crispy. Serve warm or at room temperature.