Notes: for the oil, I used Sun Coco Oil, a mix of coconut and sunflower oils. For the frosting, I used my favorite White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 35m
- 1 3/4 c Cake flour
- 1 c AP flour
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c Sunflower or vegetable oil.
- 3 tbsp. Natural vanilla extract
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 1/2 c Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour 2-9" cake pans. Add parchment paper to the pans, if desired. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (you can do this by hand with a wire whisk if desired) mix together the butter, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Mix until well-combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, making sure each is thoroughly mixed before adding the next.
- Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk in alternating measures, beginning with 1/3 of the dry mix, followed by half of the buttermilk. Then add another 1/3 of the dry mix followed by the remaining buttermilk then the rest of the dry mix. Be sure each measure is thoroughly mixed in before adding the next.
- Mix the batter until no lumps remain, being careful not to overmix. Pour into the 2 cake pans. Bake 30-35 minutes until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting and layers of fresh strawberries. I use White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.