First Make the Sauce, then prep the ingredients for the rice cake. Have them ready at the stove for quick cooking.
Recipe yields 1 pt sauce, and 4 servings Rice Cake with Lamb
- Prep Time: 45h
- Cook Time: 15h
- Total Time: 1h
- 2 oz Lemongrass, pounded and chopped
- 2 oz Ginger, sliced
- 2 oz Garlic, rough chopped (about 10-12 cloves)
- 1 oz Or 2 T salted fermented shrimp (saeujeot)
- 1/2 c Mirin
- 1/4 c Coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. Fish sauce
- 1/4 c Tamarind puree
- 1/2 tsp. Ground coriander
- 1 tsp. Red pepper flake
- For the Rice Cake:
- 4 tbsp. Canola oil, as necessary to fry rice cake slices
- 1 lb Rice cake, sliced
- 1 lb Ground lamb
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 4 c Kale, chopped
- 3 tbsp. Scallion, chopped
- In a blender, place lemongrass, ginger, garlic, salted fermented shrimp (saeujeot), mirin, and coconut milk (and sake if using). Blend until almost smooth.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and whisk in fish sauce, tamarind puree, coriander and pepper flake. Set sauce aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2-3 T canola oil. Add rice cake in a single layer. Sauté until crisp and golden, turning to crisp other side. Repeat for remaining rice cake.
- Crumble lamb into hot pan, searing until brown and cooked through. Add kale. Saute.
- Add. Rice cake back to pan. Then pour 8-12 oz curry sauce. Cook until thickened, and rice cake is chewy texture. Stir in butter. Remove to serving plate.
- Garnish with chopped scallion. Enjoy!