This phenomenal Sweet and Sour Brisket recipe comes from Smitten Kitchen Cookbook from Deb Perelman. I’m here to say it is now my go-to for a great Beef brisket – so easy and just fantastic. The meat is juicy, the sauce divine! Deb recommends cooking the brisket a day in advance, then refrigerating it, and re-heating it at 300F in its sauce prior to serving.
Special Equipment needed: a good roasting pan with a cover (foil or tight-fitting lid) or a slow-cooker. My recipe is for the oven. If you are using a slow-cooker, plan on cooking at Low temperature for 10 hours.
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 3h
- Total Time: 3h 10m
For the Brisket
- 4 lb Beef Brisket
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt, plus more for seasoning the meat
- 1 c Beef Stock or Broth
- 3 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar (light or dark is ok)
- 1/2 c Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 tsp. Paprika
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flake
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp. Onion Powder
For the Carrots and Potatoes
- 2 lb Fingerling Potatoes, any color, sliced into 1/2" coins
- 2 lb Large Carrots, sliced into 1/2" coins
- 1/4 c Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp. Minced Rosemary or dill, or any fresh herb
Prepare the Beef:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Season brisket generously with Kosher Salt and Pepper on both sides. Place in the roasting Pan or the slow cooker. Whisk remaining Brisket ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour over the beef.
- Cover beef tightly, place in preheated oven for 3 hours. After 3 hours, beef should be fork-tender. If serving now, slice brisket in thin slices, then pour the sauce over the beef. Be sure to pass any extra sauce at the table.
For the Vegetables:
- While the beef is in the oven, about 1 hour prior to serving, spread the vegetable coins across 1 or two large baking sheets that are generously coated with olive oil. Drizzle with remaining olive oil, then generously season with salt and pepper.
- Turn oven to 400F. Roast vegetables 40-45 minutes, turning half-way through until coins are crisp and browned. Remove from oven and serve.