We found this recipe for Lime Pickle Roasted Chicken in the March 2017 Bon Appetit. The key to this fantastic flavored chicken is to marinate it as long a possible, up to 12 hours. I don’t know, but I bet you could go a full 24 and it would be even better.
The marinade contains a secret ingredient that maintains the chicken’s juiciness as well as encourages the gorgeous color. That ingredient is Mayonnaise – the real stuff, please!
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1" piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. Prepared Lime Pickle (we used Patak's Lime Pickle)
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Large Sweet Onions, thickly sliced, divided
- 1/2 c Mayonnaise
- 6 Skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (1 1/2-2 lbs. total)
- 1 1/2 lb Fingerling potatoes, any color, scrubbed and halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Large bunch watercress, tough stems trimmed
- 2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- In a food processor, pulse the garlic, ginger, lime pickle, paprika, cayenne, and 1/4 of the sliced onions until smooth. Add the mayonnaise, a sprinkling of freshly ground pepper and pulse to combine. Using a rubber spatula, transfer marinade to a zipper lock bag.
- Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towel, then season lightly with salt. Add to the bag, seal and toss to coat. Let marinating chicken set at room temperature for 1 hour, or refrigerate up to 12 hours - longer is better. Wrap or cover remaining onion slices and chill until ready to use.
- If chicken is marinating chilled, remove from refrigerator 1 hour before roasting to bring it to room temperature. Preheat oven to 450F. Toss halved potatoes and remaining sliced onionswith the olive oil in a large roasting pan. Add 1/4 cup water, season with salt and toss again. Place chicken pieces, skin side up, on top, making sure there is some space between pieces. Roast 45-55 minutes until chicken is cooked through and lightly charred in spots. Remove from oven, allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Toss the watercress with lemon juice, season with salt. Serve chicken, onions and potatoes with the watercress.