Adapted from Cakelets and Doilies
- 1 Stick unsalted butter (120 g)
- 1 1/3 c Sugar, superfine preferred, but not necessary (275 grams), divided
- 1/3 c Lemon zest (4-5 lemons' worth)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 4 Eggs, separated, and at room temperature
- 2 1/2 c Almond meal (240 grams)
- 10 1/2 oz Ricotta Cheese (300 grams)
- Sliced almonds, for topping the cake
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line the bottom of a 9" springform pan with parchment paper. Butter or spray the sides of the pan.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, cream together the butter, 3/4 c sugar and lemon zest until smooth and light in both texture and color. This will take a full 8-10 minutes. Scrape the bowl down a couple of times during the 8-10 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and salt. With the mixer on medium speed, add egg yolks one at a time, until each is fully incorporated. Add the almond meal, and beat until combined. Fold ricotta into the almond meal mixture until evenly distributed. Set aside.
- In a separate, clean, metal bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. With the mixer on medium-high, slowly stream in the remaining sugar (approx. 1/2 c + 1T), and continue to blend until peaks are stiff and mixture is shiny. This will take several minutes.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the almond meal mixture. Then repeat with the remaining egg whites. Pour the mixture into prepared baking pan. Batter will be thick, so smooth the top with a knife. Sprinkle sliced almonds as generously as you wish. Bake 45-55 minutes (my cake took the full 55 minutes). Cake should be firm to touch when done. Allow to completely cool before releasing from springform. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to a couple of days prior to serving. Enjoy!