I make these festive and delicious Jam Thumbprint Cookies from Ina Garten every December. They are made with a delicate buttery cookie, filled with jam and topped with toasted coconut! Always a hit!
Be sure to set your butter out so it is at room temperature before making the dough.
These cookies freeze extremely well!
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 25m
- 3/4 Lb (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 c Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 c AP Flour
- 1/4 tsp. heaping, Kosher Salt
- 1 Egg, beaten with 1 TBS water, for egg wash
- 7 oz Sweetened flaked coconut
- Your favorite jam (I use Raspberry and Apricot)
- In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, at medium speed, combine butter and sugar, beating just until they are combined. Add vanilla. Beat until fully incorporated. Sift together flour and salt. With mixer at low speed, add the flour/salt mixture to the butter mixture. Beat until it begins to form the dough.
- Dump dough onto floured counter or board and form into a flat disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes. Prepare egg wash, and pour coconut into a medium-sized shallow bowl or pan.
- Preheat oven to 350F for conventional oven - I set my convection oven to 330F. Roll the dough in 1 1/4-inch balls. If you have a kitchen scale, it is good to weigh them. They should weigh 1 oz. Dip each ball into the egg wash, then roll it in the coconut. Set balls on parchment-covered cookie sheet, and using your thumb or index finger, press an indentation in the ball. This will slightly flatten the ball as well. Place 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation.
- Bake cookies 20-25 minutes. Coconut should be golden when cookies are done. If coconut is too dark, try decreasing the oven temperature a bit. After a few minutes of cooling on the cookie sheet, remove to cooling rack until completely cooled.