This sauce was inspired by Smitten Kitchen’s Ridiculously Easy Butterscotch Sauce. We used the same ingredients but just tossed everything in the pan at once. It would be fantastic on ice cream, pound cake, or my Brioche Bread Pudding. Or saltine crackers. Or straight from the bowl.
I like my butterscotch a bit more “salty” than simply “salted”, so taste as you add the salt to be sure it is right for you. I think we added somewhere between 3/4 and a full teaspoon of flaky salt (such as Maldon or Fleur de Sel). You would need less of regular table salt for the same saltiness.
- Prep Time: 5m
- Cook Time: 5m
- Total Time: 10m
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 Stick) Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 c Brown Sugar (Lt or Dark is ok)
- 1/2 c Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp. Natural Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 tsp. Flaky Salt, such as Fleur de Sel, or salt to taste
- Put butter, sugar and cream in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbling. Stir frequently while it bubbles 5 minutes or until desired thickness.
- Carefully (it is HOT!!!) taste and add the vanilla and salt to taste. We like this a bit salty so added about 3/4 teaspoon of flaky Fleur de Sel.