Adapted from Bobby Flay as seen in Bon Appetit, April 2016
- 2 16-oz. New York Strip steaks, or other steaks, as desired. 1-in. Thick preferred
- 2 tbsp. Chile powder
- 2 tbsp. Finely ground coffee beans
- 5 tsp. Dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp. Mustard powder
- 1 tsp. Chile powder (can substitute 3/4 ground red pepper flakes)
- 1 tsp. Ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- Mix all the dry spices, including the 1 T Kosher salt, together in a bowl. Season the steaks generously with salt, then rub 5 tsp of the spice mix onto all sides of each steak.
- Place seasoned steaks on a wire rack set atop a rimmed baking sheet or platter. Leave at room temperature for 1-2 hours, or refrigerated for up to 6 hours. If refrigerated, let steaks come to room temperature before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Heat a large cast-iron skillet. Drizzle the oil in the skillet and sear steaks on each side to form a nice crust, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer skillet to oven. For Medium-Rare, cook steaks until they are 120F at the thickest part of the steak. This will take about 5 minutes for a 1" thick steak. When they are 120F, place on a cutting board, cover with foil. Let rest 10 minutes. Slice and serve.