You can use a boneless or bone-in Pork Shoulder for this recipe. A Bone-in roast will provide more flavor, but the bone may be cumbersome in the shredding process if you don’t go the full 10-11 hours.
Serve with your favorite sauce, like my Spicy Blackberry Barbecue Sauce. This meat is also wonderful as a taco filling!
- 1 3.5 - 4.5 lb Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt, boneless or bone-in
For the Rub:
- 4 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp. Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
For Cooking Liquid:
- 1/2 c Cider Vinegar
- Combine all Rub ingredients in small bowl. Mix well. Rub into Pork Roast. Save any leftover rub. Set roast on a rack. Place the rack on a sheet pan and place it uncovered in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, place spice-rubbed roast in the Crockpot. Turn heat to low.
- Mix remaining spice rub (if any) with the cider vinegar. Pour over the top of the roast. Heat the roast for 9-11 hours, until lifting it out with the tongs causes the roast to start to fall apart.
- With two forks, shred entire pork shoulder.
- Serve with your favorite barbecue sauce and slaw on buns for pulled pork sandwiches, or use as a taco filling.